Mixing it up...


 The  key to my progress and success as a working artist lies in my constant experimentation. A fear of marketing my work had to be put aside in order to grow. I never lose sight of my collectors' desires yet I do not let others dictate my work. I am motivated by a sense of discovery, a questioning of what is known and study of those who have come before me and found answers.
It is important to note that with each deliberate change of medium I was able to build on past skills, not abandoning what came before. Watercolor progressed into Mixed Media, as I stated in my last blog, because of my need to find a way to better express the form of a rock. A humbling moment when my skills were not able to satisfy what in my mind's eye was needed to elevate my work to the next step . I struggled.
Two years later I found my way. I gave myself permission to "fail" to stumble, and to simply play. I reached a point that I was creatively satisfied in the joy of puzzling together various papers. I created textures that became new surfaces in which my watercolors could spontaneously blossom.  Unexpected landscapes, seascapes and vegetations washed across these textures as I played with layering torn papers, rice papers, papyrus and barks. I adhered each to the surface with archival gels.  My experimentation with my work became joyous and free of angst because there was no such thing as a failed painting. Tiny pieces of color, a misplaced mark, too saturated tone all became another part of a painting, ripped and stored away until just the right moment when I reached for it like a prized jewel to complete my idea.
Mixed Media was for me a giant step of exploring a full range of creativity from realism to abstracts and met success with my collectors.  I remained in mixed media for many years.....and yet I knew that there was something tantalizingly in the back of my mind, guiding my hand ever so slowly in a new direction. What was it? I could see and feel my work becoming "the same" and less satisfying... uh oh...change was on its way!
Until next week ...Acrylic!

 helenharrispaintings.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talking to myself...again!

If there is dark then...

The Gifts...