If there is dark then...

... there can be light. 

I say this as a mantra now when I paint. I have recently made a point of studying the work of the American tonalist painters, from the 1880's in particular, George Inness.

After visiting  and viewing his work on display at The Delaware Art Museum, I found that in returning to my studio,  I had finally found that my painting soul felt at home. I had an immediate response to the subtle shifts of light and dark that was so very present yet not stark and abrupt. There were grays that united forms yet it was a slight change of tones within the color range that created the mystery.

Paraphrasing and condensing information from: What is Tonalism(12 Essential characteristics) by David Adams Cleveland:


Tonalism is a use of subtle color tones, atmosphere, and nature painted in an emotional way. Using a 19th century approach of lost and found edges to evoke a mysterious sense of place or mood. Landscape elements are presented in a way to affect the emotion, rather than to depict a realistic scene.

I created "Morning Walks", painted with these elements in mind. A misty morning that allowed a subtle light to filter through and the rise of the first heat of the day

 Morning Walks 12"x12", oil on canvas



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talking to myself...again!

The Gifts...