#WIP

Each day I walk into my studio and some days my brush is a magic wand but sometimes it's a piece of lumber.  The important part of that sentence, the take away thought, is "each day".

All the best brushes, top notch paints, stacks of sketchbooks + good intentions = nothing until I walk through that door and do something to move myself forward.

Surprisingly, sometimes I find going backwards is a way forward too. 

A case in point. I rework older paintings. You know, the ones that sit faced to the wall or on a shelf, even hanging in my own living room! Passing by it each day, all of the would have, could have, should haves nudge it back onto my easel. A #WIP, a work in progress, is filled with possibilities to learn, experiment and grow in my skills. I don't need to reinvent the wheel with each painting. A new idea is wonderful but if it's not working out that day I don't walk away. I look over my shoulder at that stack. Remember the past informs the present. My skills grow with each stroke and the artist I was a year, month, week or a day ago is not me today. 

Here are two paintings the first was painted in February and posted. I feel that it had potential yet.... so the second one is the same painting reworked today. I look at the first version and see a good solid idea painted with a knife and the second version a fuller expression of color and detailed with brush.

 Each has it's merits.Which would you choose?


  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talking to myself...again!

If there is dark then...

The Gifts...