Cranky...


It's been one of those weeks. You  know the kind. I wandered in and out of my studio or sat down with a sketchbook and ....nothing. Not that I didn't do anything this week, in fact I did everything... but paint!  Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am in constant motion. My partner and I have been rebuilding a house, really it's the second home that we have rebuilt. It seems I have this need to knock down walls and redesign any room that I walk into. Fortunately, together, we have acquired the know how and tools to accomplish our vision.
Weeks like this come and go and I declare at least a half dozen times that "I'll never paint again...!"
I'm out of step out, out of rhythm. My paint brush might as well be a 2 x 4. Colors muddy together, images get obscured and I get cranky.
I've learned to walk away and choose to do something else. Believe it or not I have found that to be the healthiest way to cope. Just like a toddler about to grow, the awkward stumbling moments usually lead to change. The irritation is necessary for me to move on. Rather than bemoan what is,  I have learned to accept this pause, redirect it temporarily and with great expectation wait for what is to come...for it always does. I truly bristle at the term "artist block". It's not helpful. I see it more as a pause before continuing. Being creative is a way of life not a thing I do. Whether I'm building, cooking, gardening, playing my guitar or painting, the artistry is there entwined in my DNA.
I'm looking forward to what my imagination has waiting for me...
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talking to myself...again!

If there is dark then...

The Gifts...