So you think you got it right...this time?

On January 1, 2015
I wrote and posted the following:
"So each of us start out with that same clean canvas or paper. We attack it with all our gusto. Paint and brush fly to the rhythm of our music and ......blah. Does your canvas get relegated to a dark corner of your studio?  Do you actually convince yourself that it is an ok painting ....even frame it?
Do I hear a mumbled  "Yes!"
I know that I've sat staring at an unsold work on my living room wall debating ..leave it and just go from here, throw it out, hide it and pretend it was from your first year of painting....or learn from it. Unframe it, rework it, draw on it, wipe out whole areas.
Use this effort to move forward and rejoice that you have come a long way ....at least far enough to be your own critic!
This is YOUR painting until it is sold."
(Click on this link to see the the unsold original painting which I reworked and then ...it sold!
Crystal Lake Falls)

Well it has happened ...again ...this original version has languished in my darkened studio and dare I say on brightly lit gallery walls. Hung once again at home, where I pass by each day. Let the muttering begin. As the muttering grows louder, my hands begin to gesture in the air ...repainting. Then that little voice starts "Leave it alone. It's done. It's even framed! You've already put it up on Facebook.....bbbbbbbuuutttttt...
and so my day begins again, humbly, fearlessly, working, learning.
Taking the bones of a dead piece and breathing life back into it. Of course I could lose the whole piece along the way (lol...and that's another story!) but that's the risk I must take to go beyond what I already know...and now, I simply know more...Helen
North Creek...Revisited
North Creek
original version

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talking to myself...again!

If there is dark then...

The Gifts...