Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Patterns


I've been a working artist long enough to have a grasp of the patterns that occur in my day in the studio. A particular vexing one is that on the heels of a successful show, my work plummets ... then soars! Excitement from succeeding gives way to unexpected doubts of failure. This used to throw me into a deep depression for weeks. The crippling critic that would take over my brush at times like this has been banished from my studio.
It has taken the every day working habits of putting brush to paper to work through this brain freeze. A tremendous help has been the positive coaching through reading of articles and blogs of many artists sharing generously of their experiences. The studio can become a very lonely place when it is not fueled by positive, creative energy.
You know exactly what I"m taking about! Like it or not we all have these patterns of creativity. Have you faced yours? Examining and understanding how you work is as much a part of your business plan as is your method of marketing .In fact, understanding your patterns will help put that business plan on track. If it is in tune with the rhythms of your patterns it is more likely to succeed.
The painting featured here is FireStorm. A complete break away from my normal patterns, in subject,palette and size. I painted from morning until night. The energy was spent arriving at at new destination on my path . I silenced the critic that told me that this was not my norm...I played. I learned. I succeeded... I can keep on going!

6 comments:

Split Rock Ranch said...

I think learning to create what we want regardless of what anyone else thinks about our work is key. When you make art to sell it, you can only sell it to one person and sometimes it takes awhile to find "the one". And losing that creative muse is only natural - it comes back of its own free will when the time is right. I love Firestorm, by the way!

WillOaks Studio said...

Thanks for sharing that insight on your "work cycles!" It is important to focus when possible, play when playful, experiment when curious--in other words, always, always invite the muse OR lay the foundations when she's away!

Split Rock Ranch said...

Well said Karen!

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

I think we all understand the ups and downs of being an artist. Its hard when you are not feeling the creativity to just start in again. Love this peice you've shared with us.

nyegik said...

wow is my first time to visiting you...wow ur blog is so nice

Thanks for sharing

Liz said...

Your are is breath taking!